Nine years ago, Barry Rabkin discovered a golfball sized lump on his throat while washing his face. The diagnosis was thyroid cancer and the treatment was invasive surgery and radiation. Upon the suggestion of his wife, he began juicing in an effort to help aid his recovery. Not only did Barry feel better and have more energy, but his blood work was showing signs of improvement with levels in the normal range. It was at this point he knew he had to help as many people as possible by sharing the power of juicing.
However, Barry had no prior food industry experience and his juice recipes where solely focused on nutrition and not taste, a point his partner, Jeff Levine, quickly corrected by bringing his own expertise in the fast casual arena to eventually create Raw Juce. (Yup, there is no “i” in Juce) Today, Raw Juce has nine locations throughout South Florida and offers an array of juices, smoothies, and food such as acai bowls, quinoa salads, raw desserts and more.
Barry is now healthy, motivated and excited to spread the benefits of juicing and eating a plant-based diet to the South Florida community and beyond.
We hope you enjoy the conversation,
Alex and Jeanette
- Pukka Tea
- Earth Day
- Water Restriction
- Recommended documentaries: Cowspiracy, Before the Flood, Chasing Coral
- Miami Beach Botanical Gardens
- Black Lounge Film Series
- Miami Characters Exhibition
THAT’S WHAT I LIKE:
- “I thought I was healthy. I didn’t realize how unhealthy I was. If you want to be healthy, you need to eat a plant-based diet.”
- “My wife got me into juicing…. Right away I felt better and my cravings went down. All of a sudden I didn’t want chicken fingers or ice cream.”
- “You can have two pounds of vegetables in front of you but you’re never going to eat them like you would processed food. Because your body doesn’t get all revved, you just eat until you don’t want to eat anymore.”
- “I was that guy in Whole Foods pushing the cart around grabbing any fruit or vegetable.”
- “I was struggling for a year and then all of a sudden my blood work starting being perfect. When I started juicing a lot. They told me to keep doing what I was doing because my levels was perfect.”
- “In each bottle of juice there’s 3-5 pounds of fruits and vegetables. You would never eat 3-5 pounds of fruits and vegetables in one sitting.”
- “Everything in my body was changing hair, nails, energy levels. Now I have my cancer doctors telling me that my blood work is changing. I said I have to do something with this.”
Want to comment on anything mentioned in the show?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on the Google line (786) 471-2812.
DON’T KEEP US A SECRET…
Tell your friends, family, neighbors, baristas, anyone who will listen about us. We really appreciate it! And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review on iTunes if you’re enjoying the show. For additional content, please visit our blog and our YouTube channel.