Jeanne Albaugh has spent her life in service to the homeless, but when she fell and broke her back while inside a fast food restaurant, she not only lost her life long dream of becoming a world champion in barrel racing, she became homeless herself.
Once she realized her dream would never materialize, she fell into a deep depression and got addicted to pain killers. Her husband eventually divorced her and she lost her three children. Jeanne, who gave so much of herself to the homeless, now found herself living under a bridge. Even though she attempted suicide several times during this difficult and challenging time, it was a letter from her son that helped her emerge from this darkness and take back control of her life.
Now Jeanne is the founder and CEO of Showering Love which provides mobile showers to the homeless via a converted 42 foot city bus. Not only do these showers provide a safe and comfortable place for South Florida’s homeless to bathe, it also restores dignity and hope to those who are too often forgotten and shunned by society.
We hope you enjoy the conversation,
Alex and Jeanette
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Google Play Music | TuneIn | iHeartRADIO
- The Scout Guide – Miami
- The Vagabond Hotel
- Writing Class Radio
- Episode 57: Writing As Therapy with Andrea Askowitza & Allison Langer
- Fit and Thick
- Jump! 28-Day Challenge
- Episode 67: Empowering a Culture of Positivity with Nicole Mejia
- Designing Your Life: Discipline vs. Distraction
- Black Lounge Films Series
- Tree Lion Juice Bar and Natural Foods
- Jonny Juicer
- Seed Food & Wine Week
- The New Tropic November 2018 Midterm and Local Voter Guide
- Episode 71: What You Need to Know About Composting with Melissa Selem
- Help us reach 100 reviews on iTunes by 12-31-18, leave us a review today!
THAT’S WHAT I LIKE:
- Alex: Omega 8006 Juicer
- Jeanette: Garden of Life Protein Shakes
- Episode 78: Tackling Miami’s Biggest Issues with Sarah Emmons
- Bombas socks
- Homeless Hearts Food
- Episode 79: The State of Affordable Housing with Annie Lord
- Make the Homeless Smile
- “From the outside it looked like I had the world in the palm of my hands, but no one knew that inside I was dying.”
- “Showering Love is about restoring dignity and hope and we’re doing it one shower at a time.”
- “The bus is our vehicle to meet them where they are, to love them right where they are.”
- “Most of the time I tell people, ‘the next time you’re at a street corner and you see someone holding a sign or maybe someone’s asking for money, I hope that you’ll look into their eyes and you’ll see me and you see what’s possible.'”
- “My life has been about forgiveness because in forgiving I have become free, I can love.”
- “Showering Love has given the community (the last word is unity) an opportunity to connect and to learn and to love without judgment.”
WHAT’S ON HER NIGHTSTAND:
Want to comment on anything mentioned in the show?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on the Google line (786) 471-2812.
DON’T KEEP US A SECRET…
Tell your friends, family, neighbors, baristas, anyone who will listen about us. We really appreciate it! And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review on iTunes if you’re enjoying the show. For additional content, please visit our blog and our YouTube channel.
Leave a Reply