At a very young age, Nicole Mejia learned the importance of health and hard work. After expressing her grievances to her father of being an overweight kid, he motivated her to start running the very next morning. Together they bonded through overcoming obstacles and life lessons. Today, Nicole is the founder of Fit and Thick, a women’s empowerment brand that teaches the importance of being healthy, embracing your natural physique and living an authentic life.
Last year, despite risking alienating her legions of followers, Nicole came ‘out’ as being vegan and announced a plant-based meal plan as part of her Fit and Thick workout app. To her surprise, it was well received and has helped her company grow to new heights. Fit and Thick now offers a line of apparel, workout gear, special events and more. And her weekly Vibe Tribe Facebook Live sessions helps others embrace the plant-based lifestyle from discussing meal prep to natural products and everything in between. Nicole’s self awareness and authenticity shines through in everything she does and we look forward to following the continuing growth of her brand.
We hope you enjoy the conversation,
Alex and Jeanette
- O, Miami Festival
- Young Viejos Softball League
- CLEAR Miami: Climate Resilience Leadership Training
- Miami Climate Alliance
- Food for Thought Podcast
THAT’S WHAT I LIKE:
- Alex: Vegan’s Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
- Jeanette: Sayblee Rosemary Oil
- Tony Robbins New Year, New You
- Marie Forleo B-School
- Forks Over Knives
- 22 Days Nutrition by Marco Borges
- Thrive by Brenden Brazier
- “Now I’m learning in my 29th year, living alone for the first time, that I have to make decisions that are selfish in order to fill myself back up and really act on self-love for myself.”
- “Fitness is not just about the way you look or the aesthetic benefits or even the cardiovascular benefits. I learned that fitness is about encouragement, companionship, pushing yourself, but in a more forgiving way.”
- “What makes me tick is impact, impacting people, impacting lives…when I found out by not eating this burger I can save more water than not showering for months is real impact.”
- “For the first year of being plant-based I kept it under wraps…because I was so worried about alienating my base.”
- “You don’t realize how emotionally dependent you are on food until you take things out.”
- “When you go plant-based there is a physical change and emotional upheaval.”
WHAT’S ON HER NIGHTSTAND:
Want to comment on anything mentioned in the show?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on the Google line (786) 471-2812.
DON’T KEEP US A SECRET…
Tell your friends, family, neighbors, baristas, anyone who will listen about us. We really appreciate it! And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review on iTunes if you’re enjoying the show. For additional content, please visit our blog and our YouTube channel.