Nine years ago, Art Friedrich along with Melissa Contreras created the Urban Oasis Project, whose mission is to foster a local food movement that’s accessible and available to everyone. The way they’ve achieved this goal is by planting gardens with low-income families, creating several thriving Farmer’s Markets throughout South Florida (Upper East Side, Tropical Park, Adrienne Arsht, Bay Harbor) and accepting SNAP benefits at the markets and doubling their value for Florida grown fruits and veggies.
Art believes that farmer’s markets are more than just a place to buy food, they are connection hubs that foster community and support local farmers and vendors. The Urban Oasis Project works tirelessly to educate the public on the value of these markets and how they strive to connect people to their food by eating seasonally, protect the environment by sourcing from local farmers, and support economic viability for small businesses.
We hope you enjoy the conversation,
- Rican Vegan
- Tina Georgy
- Seed Food and Wine Festival
- Bad Ass Vegan
- Yes Baby I Like it Raw (Nzingah Oniwosan)
- Feast Miami – Co-founder Loren Pulitzer
- Prism Creative Group
- The Knight Foundation
- Miami Book Fair
THAT’S WHAT I LIKE:
- Master Gardner Certification
- Food Forward
- Half Baked Vegan
- Adriene Arsht ‘Farm to Table’ Dinner
- Pamela Wasabi (Episode 5)
- Homeless Trust
- Farmers First Aid Fund
- Saltwater Intrusion
- Greenpeace Arctic Explorer
- Sustainable: A Documentary on the Local Food Movement in America
- Miami Book Fair
- Via Vegan
WHAT’S ON HIS NIGHTSTAND:
- Nourished: The Plant-based Path to Health and Happiness
- Last Train to Paradise: Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad That Crossed an Ocean
- The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise
Want to comment on anything mentioned in the show?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on the Google line (786) 471-2812.
DON’T KEEP US A SECRET…
Tell your friends, family, neighbors, baristas, anyone who will listen about us. We really appreciate it! And don’t forget to leave us a review on iTunes if you’re enjoying the show and don’t forget to visit our blog!